Wednesday 19 August 2009

missing out

I was at a lunch function where hundreds of people had gathered. I went to the bathroom and realised that I had not told anyone about my food intolerances and would probably have difficulty eating what was to be served. I went outside and looked for the right person to talk to. A young waiter asked if he could help, but I was determined to speak with a waiter that I had seen earlier - I felt that he would know what to do. I found him and followed him to the service kitchen where a team of chefs was preparing the meal. He went inside and asked the head chef if it was too late to cater for a wheat-free, dairy-free person, and I heard the chef reply that it was. The waiter came out to tell me and I assured him that it was okay, that I should have planned ahead. I thought I could probably go and eat at the local pub, just down the road. I felt that I had missed out and, out of view, shed a few tears.
I was in an airport terminal with my father. We waited in the departure lounge to board the plane for what seemed like a long time. Finally, the plane was due to board, but I had opened my suitcase and was rearranging my luggage. I had a spare corner in my bag and offered it to Dad. He sorted through his things, deciding what he could put in my suitcase to lighten his load. The air stewards announced the final call and we were still occupied with our luggage. I closed my suitcase and hurried to the gate, but my father (who in waking life is always on time) was still in the seating area. I showed my boarding pass and went through, waiting for Dad on the other side, terribly anxious that they would close the flight and not allow him through. I woke.

No comments: