Monday 13 July 2009

snake swallower

Crossing the threshold of a small house, I was startled by a fat brown cobra sitting just inside the room. He flared his hood threateningly, but I quickly grabbed him around his thick body, one hand just under the hood and the other around the tail, preventing him from biting me whilst I wondered what to do. He writhed about, furious, trying to bite me. Summoning my strength, I hurled him out the door, hoping that he would take the opportunity to escape and disappear into the scrub. Unfortunately, he was too vengeful and returned. A young girl sat in the corner by the door and saw the snake enter. The snake reared and again flared its hood. The snake had changed shape a little: it was now long and thin and its hood sat around its neck like a wide collar out from which it extended its neck, reaching up into the air and striking down repeatedly as it now attempted to bite the girl. Rather than retreating, the girl played with the snake, mocking its angry attack motion by swiping at it, two of her fingers curled in imitation of its fangs. I called out to her to stop, fearful for her safety, but she continued and the snake lunged at her again and again, just short of sinking his fangs into her flesh. Suddenly, as the girl went to say something, the snake extended his neck way out of his collar and poked his head into her mouth and slithered down her throat, his long tail still stretched out across the floor. I was horrified as the girl just sat there with a surprised look on her face. I waited for her death as I imagined the snake would bite her internally and that would be the end. Instead, the snake continued sliding down her throat until even his tail disappeared. His collar was left behind on the floor.

No comments: