Sunday 10 February 2008

blue dolphin

I was sitting with my brother and sister on a rock, overlooking a river. The rock, rather than being on the bank, seemed to jut up out of the water; we were sitting in the river itself, well away from the shore, looking along, rather than across, the winding water course. I was to the left of them, sitting the furthest out. We were peaceful, watching the movement of the river, the changes in the swirling water, waiting for fish to jump. The sky and water were grey and the day was quiet and still. Dolphin came into view, fins appearing above the water’s surface, swimming toward us. We were pleased to see them arrive, and felt that their presence was somehow fortuitous. I then noticed a man standing in the water quite close to where we were sitting. The water only reached up to his knees and he held a beautiful sky blue dolphin above his head, offering it to the sky. The young dolphin was crying and I called out to him to put the dolphin down. He lowered the dolphin into the water but instead of releasing it, he cut the dolphin’s throat, killing it, reached inside it, and pulled out an organ, white and curiously shaped, which he then ate. I was horrified and watched as the dolphin quickly faded in colour and deflated. The man waded over to where we were sitting and asked if we had some string he could use to tie the dolphin up. I looked inside a metal toolkit wondering what to do and then I woke up.

No comments: