Friday 19 October 2007

stolen water

I was at a party. I brought a bottle of San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water with me to drink throughout the night. I put it in the refrigerator along with other people’s drinks, whilst I helped the hosts with some food. I talked with a few people but felt quite isolated from the crowd. Early in the evening, I went to the fridge to get my water but the bottle was missing. I looked around the kitchen but I couldn’t see it anywhere. I began to ask people if anyone knew who had taken my water. No one seemed to know. A woman suggested that she make me a cup of tea but I refused the offer. I felt very angry that someone had taken the water and I was determined to find it. I walked through the rooms of the house looking for the water, and then went outside, searching further. I could see a huge crowd of people gathered about a concert area, like people at a festival. At the edge of the crowd I could see some friends that I used to spend time with when I was in my late twenties. I went over to the group – they were drunk and lying about on rugs – and there was my water, almost all gone. I found out that it was S that had taken the water, not caring that it wasn’t his, and had used it as a mixer for their drinks. There was another bottle of water there that I could have taken, but I didn’t want it – it wasn’t as clear, as clean and cold as my water. I yelled at him, telling him that he had no right, that he should provide me with another bottle of water, that he had taken what was mine. I went to walk away and then felt like I should apologise for being so worked up, mainly so that the group would not think badly of me, but when I went to speak, the words wouldn’t form – I had no voice. I knew that I could not apologise as I really was not sorry, that I truthfully felt upset and wronged, and that if they judged me for that then they were judging the true me. I left the group.

No comments: