Sunday 21 October 2007

run over

I was driving with other people in the car. I think there were three of four of us. I turned a corner, taking it only slightly too fast, but couldn’t slow the car adequately for what was ahead. I could see that people were crossing the road but couldn’t seem to slow down enough. As I drove around the corner and straightened out on the adjacent road, I ran over a woman who was crossing the road, driving at a very slow speed. We, in the car, listened as first the front tyres and then the back tyres ran over her. It sounded very much like driving over a speed hump. I was instantly in dread, not only for the woman and in expectation of her injuries or death, but for the guilt and remorse I would feel. Strangely, as we hopped out of the car, I felt very little and I was surprised.

No comments: