Tuesday 15 May 2007

money

I was in my sister’s bedroom, in the house our family built and lived in when we were teenagers. I was looking in the top drawer of a chest of drawers. Jewellry boxes and crystal bowls holding necklaces, rings and brooches were neatly arranged inside the drawer. Behind one of the boxes, discreetly stored toward the back of the drawer, was a bundle of money. $50 and $100 notes placed on top of each other, curled around into a tight wad, held in place with a rubber band. There looked to be at least $15,000 - $20,000. Folded neatly amidst the notes, was a small envelope with the top torn open. I knew that the money inside the envelope was mine and I tried to remember how much I had left in there. In need of money, I removed the envelope from the rest of the notes and replaced my sister’s savings in her hiding spot behind the box and closed the drawer. I opened the envelope, expecting to see a couple of $50 notes, but was dismayed to find a stash of monopoly money, lots of black & white $1 notes and a few $5s. I tried, but failed, to count the money, noticing that each note was printed on one side only. Just then, my sister came into the room, opened the drawer and added a few more $100 notes to her savings. I wondered how she had managed to save so much whilst my money had not only dwindled, but turned into a useless currency. She looked radiant in the early morning golden light that was streaming through the bedroom windows, and I admired her discipline. I vowed to find a way to, with discipline, work and save.

No comments: