Monday 21 May 2007

cooking for people

I was serving two old women who were sitting at a round table in a room, much like the ‘sunroom’ of the house that I lived in with my family when I was a teenager. They were waiting for me to give them something to eat. I suggested a delicious soup that I had cooked made from zucchini, broccoli and other green vegetables, and another dish that I had cooked earlier. I saw my parents in the hall, so I also asked if they would like food. I went to the kitchen to prepare the meals and discovered that there was only a very small amount of food left, only enough for one person. I was anxious as I didn’t have enough time to make anything as good, and so I rummaged through the refrigerator, trying to find something that I might add to the soup so as to be able to feed everybody.
Later, after a whole chapter of the dream that I cannot clearly recall now, I was again searching for food related items. I was staying somewhere where there were quite a lot of other people, living with them in dormitory style accommodation. I was walking up to the kitchen block, set amidst the Australian bush, treading carefully as I was barefoot and nervous of spiders and other insects. I climbed the few steps to the verandah and crossed the wooden floor, into the kitchen area itself. It was run down and there were kitchen utensils everywhere. I handled a pair of tongs, again worried about spiders hiding in the crevices of the tong handles, as everything had been abandoned for some time, and opened cupboards and drawers nervously. I wanted to find the right things – tongs, saucepan etc – so that I could cook for the people at the site.

No comments: