Tuesday 22 February 2011

waiting, anger and communication

I was waiting, sitting reading inane magazines at the hairdressers. My appointment was for four o'clock in the afternoon, and the appointments appeared to be running behind time. I was unperturbed. The hair studio was on the ground floor of a suburban shopping centre and, every so often, people would come in to visit the staff, rather than to have their hair done. Some people were rough, threatening even, and I did my best to remain calm and to placate or humour those that spoke directly to me. Time passed and every so often my hairdresser would tell me that she would not be much longer. A woman who also had been waiting, was finally called upon, but she grew angry and said it was too late; she needed to go home to make dinner for her children. I had not yet looked at the time - clocks were conveniently absent from the walls, but I presumed it to be late in the afternoon. There were no windows so I could not see the sky. I flicked through magazine after magazine, re-reading some. I was growing restless and increasingly irritated by the wait. Some people I knew visited the salon and I asked one of them the time. It was after eight. I was furious. Furious that I had been made to wait over four hours, and even more furious that I had actually waited - no one had forced me to sit there hour upon hour waiting for such a ridiculous amount of time. I searched for my hairdresser to tell her that I was leaving and could not find her. I hurried out the back and saw that the staff were lazing about, gossiping. I told off one young woman, saying I would tell everyone I knew. I immediately regretted saying that as it was not the message I wanted to communicate. I wanted to say I was angry, and that their service was one not worth the wait. My words were caught in my mouth; indeed, my mouth seemed full. I realised I had a giant wad of chewing gum in my mouth and spat it out, but it made little difference. Still my mouth seemed slow and unwieldy. I knew that I was most angry at myself for having wasted precious time through being too compliant, too easygoing, and now I could not seem to communicate my anger.

No comments: