Tuesday 26 January 2010

ticket and man

I was journeying home. I had been away for some time and now it was time to return. I boarded a bus and purchased a ticket from the driver. It was quite expensive and, although I asked him to select my cheque account, he selected savings. I knew that I did not have the money to cover the cost and that I would be fined for overdrawing. I was a little annoyed but told him not to worry. He wrote out a receipt and I left the bus, aiming to return when it was due to leave. I wandered down through an underground terminal, searching for something to eat as I had not eaten since early in the morning and it was now night. I found a kiosk that was closing so I quickly took a big bottle of water from the refrigerator and stood in line. The lights of the kiosk flicked on and off. As I waited, I scanned the shelves, but there was little food left. A man in front of me in the queue with longish brown hair was playing up, teasing the person behind the counter and creating gentle havoc. He scooped out the few remaining hot chips onto a plate and then handled them before throwing them back into the counter tray. Though the chips had been touched, I was hungry and bought the remaining hot chips. They weren't great but they would do. Suddenly the man, his friend and the few people in the shop started to head down the stairs of the terminal, outside and down a hill. I too sensed that the bus was ready and hurried after them. As I reached the man, I started running and grabbed his hand, pulling him after me. We gained speed, running incredibly fast and leapt up and over the fence that blocked our path with great ease. Landing, we laughed, sitting down on the grass. I started searching through my bag for my ticket, but couldn't find it. I found numerous receipts, notes and brochures, but not the ticket. He too rummaged through his bag. Embarrassingly, I pulled out a wad of papers stuck together with stray chewing gum, but, somewhat comfortingly, he too found papers in his bag glued together by chewing gum.

No comments: