Monday 6 April 2009

lake of fish

B and I were driving along a wide dirt road. A great lake stretched as far as we could see on the left of the road, and a scrubby forest lined the right. We passed a couple of people standing in the shallows of the lake and B, who was driving, spun the car around to go back and help them. In the short span of time between seeing them and arriving where they had been, they were gone. We hopped out of the car and walked into the water, up to our knees. B scooped her hands through the water and picked up a transparent jellyfish. She held out a pair of nail scissors to me and asked me to cut the jellyfish open. I refused as I didn't want to hurt it, but a hand (from seemingly nowhere) reached across and made a neat incision in the jellyfish's flesh, snipping it along a fine seam and opening it out. B put the jellyfish back in the water and hundreds of tiny silver-grey fish came to feed on the jellyfish. I could see that B was doing something essential for the good of the fish. I looked around and saw that there were many jellyfish swimming around the shallow water. Each one had thousands of tiny luminous blue lights shining inside its nebulous form. Schools of the tiny fish, hundreds of fish in each school, swam around the jellyfish, waiting for parts of it to break away so that they could eat it. As I walked through the water, wanting to stand on the shore, my legs brushed against the jellyfish and parts of their bodies stuck to my legs. The schools of tiny fish immediately came to eat the chunks of jelly, particularly after the miniature blue lights. I continued walking slowly toward the shore, each step tentative as there were now many other fish swimming through the water. Strange sand fish appeared through the sand, short spikes jutting out of their scaly bodies, before disappearing back down under the sandy lake bed. I called to B to show her the strange fish creatures but she was further out and could not see. Now the water teamed with fish and other odd creatures, all strangely macabre. I found the skin of a big grey octopus lying flaccid at the edge of the water, as though completely deflated, and a second black octopus' skin lying beside it, similarly collapsed upon itself. A few steps further on, a shark carcass appeared from under the sand; again, there seemed to be no substantial flesh, just the loose skin left lying on the bottom of the lake.

No comments: