Wednesday 11 March 2009

into deeper water

I was skirting a vast body of water, much like an ocean but the shallows stretching onward for miles. Though the day grew late and the sun was setting, I walked around the water's edge, following the snaking shoreline until I came to a channel that would lead out to sea. I lay down in the water and began to walk on my hands, using my arms to propel me on. Sitting on the sand at the mouth of the channel, was a group of people under a tent. I did my best, still walking on my hands, my body floating in the water behind, to navigate my way through the ropes that held the tent in place, pegged into the sand at the very edge of the water. A small russet dog ran at me excitedly, barking and jumping about. I stopped and picked him up in my hand; he fitted neatly into my palm. Once lifted, he calmed and became affectionate. I passed him to someone sitting under the tent, saving him from being washed away by the sea. I continued on my way out to deeper waters.

No comments: