Monday 4 August 2008

stealing

B and I were sitting on our balcony, talking. We heard a noise in the street, looked over the balcony wall, and saw our neighbours taking items from our car. They had their hands through the slightly open windows, stealing things. I screamed at them, telling them to stop. They poked around a little more and then walked off casually. We returned to conversation, and mentioned that as least now we knew who not to trust. We heard another noise and again looked over the wall. This time there were several men taking things from our vehicle; the car had now turned into a ute and they were lifting the tarpaulin, stealing items that were underneath. We both yelled out at them and then found ourselves outside on the street. B was fighting with one or two of them and a couple of the others grabbed me, threw me on the back of their ute and raced off down the street. One of the men guarded me and taunted me. I could see that he was unwashed and smelt of bad cigarette smoke. When they stopped at the lights at the other end of the street, I jumped off the ute and ran away as fast as I could go. The man chased me. The street turned into a staircase and I began to scale it but I felt I had chosen the wrong path as I was struggling to run fast up stairs and he was gaining on me. The stairs seemed to go on and on, one flight finishing and the next beginning. The man tripped at the bottom of a new flight of stairs, so I took the opportunity and pelted away. I raced back down the street toward home.

No comments: