Monday 4 August 2008

bathroom

B and I were staying in a hotel in Sydney. It was the early evening and it was dark outside. I went into the bathroom intending to have a bath but there was ankle deep water flooding the whole room. The bathroom was all white with two baths - a small triangular bath and a long and deep bath - as well as a shower, hand basin and toilet. I fetched B from the bed to look at the situation, but when we went back into the bathroom, the water that had covered the white tiled floor was gone and the larger bath was half-full of steaming hot water. I wondered who had filled the bath and noticed a door I had not previously seen, opening into the next apartment. I could hear a television and knew that someone was coming to have a bath. I was dismayed that the hotel had not told us that we were sharing a bathroom and it seemed very unusual, particularly as the hotel was rather opulent. I thought I might be able to squeeze in a shower before our neighbour returned to the bathroom, but she then walked in. B, she and I stood in the room, attempting to negotiate the situation. B and I had to be somewhere very soon and we both felt that we had been cheated by the hotel.

No comments: